In 1985 I began my ongoing work collaboration with Vincent Fitz Gerald, publisher of livres d'artiste.
I kept work notebooks, drawing to all the writings of Joyce. In this way I trained myself to find visual expression for Joyce's verbal journeys. The Joyce notebooks are a constant part of my life.
Last year I began "the big reread" - drawing again to all the books sequentially from The Epiphanies forward.
1. A 3-dimensional etching edition on handmade paper, published by Vincent Fitz Gerald and Co.
2-3. Images from "The Epiphanies", Etchings plus collage, cutting and handwork. Boxed edition of 50 copies, all rights reserved Vincent Fitz Gerald and Co., copyright 1987.
4-5. Images from Giacomo Joyce, etching cutting, collage and handwork. Images interspersed rhythmically with the words which are printed in the eccentric and musical form used by Joyce in his manuscript. Our book is the same size and shape as Joyce's handwritten original, all rights reserved Vincent Fitz Gerald and Co., copyright 1989.
6. Giacomo Joyce image from my notebooks.
7. Image from my notebooks for "A Painful Case"
8. Note book image for "The Dubliners".
10. Notebook images for Epiphany 15.
11. Notebook image for "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" as well as "Epiphany 1".
12. Notebook image for "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" as well as "Epiphany 1".
13. Etched portrait with cut spiral, published by Vincent Fitz Gerald and Co.
14. Painted portrait of Joyce on actual derby hat.
15. Watercolor from lotus eaters of Bloom awash in his bath.
16, 18. Images from my notebook for a segment from Scylla and Charybdis.
19. Notebook interpretation of "Wandering Rocks".
20. Three-dimensional canvas for "Wandering Rocks"
21. Collage of the Book of Ulysses.
22. Cut drawing on linen paper of HCE and ALP.
23. ALP as the geometry lesson is a cut painting.
24. Image from "Brideship and Gulls", boxed edition of 50 with small square book of the text surrounded by six books of words within the box. Images are line etchings completely hand-coloured, all rights reserved Vincent Fitz Gerald and Co., copyright 1991.
25, 26, 29. from the Finnegans Wake notebooks.
For eleven years I have made a poem/drawing each day, keeping the duet of word and image constant.
You may contact Susan Weil via email at firstname.lastname@example.org