connecting global visual culture
New This Week
Back to Resources Home Page
- PLACES TO LOOK FIRST:
- DejaNews Usenet Search
- Cenetic (German)
- Lokace (French>
- Savvy Search
- Index of Search Tools from IDS
- Alta Vista Search Engine from Digital
- Open Text Index
- Anthropology/Archaeology Web Sites
- Art DEADLINES List
- EINET GALAXY
- Starting Point Search
- W3 Virtual Library Subject Catalogue
- WEBCRAWLER Search Engine
- LYCOS Search Engine
- Magellan, McKinley's Online Directory
- Museum Online Resource Review
- World Wide Arts Resources
- FineArt Forum Directory of Art Related Web Resources
(mirror - http://www.vol.it/mirror/Fineart_Online/art-resources/)
- ArtServe Mediterranean Basin Art & Architecture
- Guide to Museums and Cultural Resources on the Web LA County Museum of Natural History
- Getty AHIP Multiple Database Search Avery Index, RILA, Provenance Index
- Voice of the Shuttle
- c|net Internet Resources
- New York Public Library
- Grant Resource List
- Dictionary of visual art.
- Hundreds of scripts which can be copied and used free of charge, from Mecklermedia.
- Oxford Text Archive
- Searchable, high-quality electronic texts for research and teaching.
- The Language Construction Kit
- A site for anyone who wants to create artificial languages.
- The World Right Now
- Index of live outdoor cameras on the Web from the Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, England.
- Universal Currency Converter
- Performs interactive foreign exchange rate conversion on the Internet.
- Encyclopedia of graphical symbols -- from Cro-Magnon to hobo signs and subway graffiti -- and their meanings.
- 7-11 by Date
- Partial archives of the 7-11 mailing list
- An experimental software package designed to aid in the sociological study of the Internet with a current focus on Usenet.
- Atlas of Cyberspaces
- Maps and graphic representations of the geographies of the new electronic territories of the Internet, WWW and other emerging Cyberspaces from University College London.
- Uses the Getty Information Institute's structured vocabulary resources as a "filter" or retrieval assistant for querying large, disparate data sets and websites.
- SensAble Technologies
- Their PHANToM haptic interface allows users to more effectively navigate today's increasingly popular 3-D graphics worlds and virtual environments.
- Robert Rauschenberg Index
- Links to Rauschenberg on the net.
- Paint Estimator
- Use this calculator to estimate the amount of paint you'll need for your next project.
- Free Fonts Archive
- You get what you pay for but, hey, wouldn't Mom appreciate a letter set in LIQUIDY BULBOUS!
- Web Site Development
- Tips from Philip Greenspun of MIT.
- HTML 4.0 Specification
- Defines the HyperText Markup Language (HTML), version 4.0, the publishing language of the World Wide Web. (8.11.97)
- The Wired Eye
- Webcameras around the world compiled by Thomas J. Campanella. (8.7.97)
- Queer Arts Resource Home Page
- A nonprofit Internet-based forum for the display and discussion of queer content in the visual arts. There may be homoerotic images in the Galleries and Forum. If this might offend you, please go away: QAR is not for you.
- Web Clip Empire
- Xoom Softward free Web clipart collection for personal, non-commercial use. Animated GIF's, line art, music, photos and sounds.
- International Directory of Design
- Searchable database of design resources.
- Reviews of exhibitions and other resources from the Soho district of New York.
- Eclectic Artistry
- Abundant links to poetry, art, philosophy and graphic art resources from Robin Frazier.
- Guide to U.S. Geospatial and Attribute Data
- Starting point for sources of digital geospatial data and attributes related to the US.
- The search service of choice for individuals looking for information on current affairs, politics, new science and the 'hidden information,' that seldom seems to slip through the cracks of the corporate owned media conglomerates.
- Arte en Red
- Listings, in Spanish, of art resources on the Internet by Laura Baigorri.
- Classical Myth: The Ancient Sources
- Draws together the ancient texts and images available on the Web concerning the major figures of Greek and Roman mythology.
- ArtNet Sweden
- Information about galleries, artists and all other parts of the Swedish artscene.
- The launchpad/guide to the best real content on the web. Short site descriptions are listed in random order without unnecessary bandwidth or gimmicks.
- Universes in Universe
- An extensive and well-structured information system on the arts of Africa, Asia and Latin America and the art exchange with these world's regions. In English, German and Spanish.
- FYI France
- Resources and services of and about libraries, publishing and online digital information in France and generally in Europe.
- France Artist
- The most current, incisive information about art in France and Europe.
- Doctor HTML
- Retrieves a Web page and performs tests to see if your document is in tip-top shape.
- Apple Web Design Guide
- Suggestions for creating Web pages that are usable and effective.
- Yoko Ono resources.
- EnoWeb '96
- Brian Eno resources.
- Introduction to CGI
CGI Made Real Easy
- How to make Web pages interact with the user. Knowledge of some programming needed.
- VRL's Imaging Machine
- Convert and manipulate your images online using ImageMagick.
- African resources relevant to museums
- Internet resources of interest to museums in Africa or with African collections.
- French Language Course
- The following French course is intended to allow you to understand written French (newspapers, articles, magazines, signs on the road during your next trip in France, etc.) and to write a letter to a French friend or correspondent.
- All library on-line public-access catalogues that have a web interface.
- Ancient World Web Meta Index
- Large index of links to all things ancient.
- Query By Image Content (QBIC)
- System that allows complex queries of large image databases based on image content.
- Marcel Duchamp Sites
- Links and pix
- Critical Path AIDS Project
- Founded by persons with AIDS (PWAs) to provide treatment, resource, and prevention information.
- Perseus Project
- An evolving digital library on Ancient Greece from Tufts University.
- Construct has its roots firmly planted in the kind of open, collaborative development that characterizes the Internet. Lots of info on VRML and other tools and very good design.
- Memetics Index
- Memetics is a whole new school of thought which studies the transmission of ideas by viewing ideas (which memetics calls memes) as being living organisms.
- Fluxus Mail Archive
- Searchable mail archive for the Fluxus mailing list.
- Index of audio and video on the Internet.
- Scout Toolkit
- An InterNIC service designed to help new users identify the network tools most appropriate for their needs.
- Art Stuff
- Extensive listings of art resources on the net
- International Directory of Art Libraries
- This Directory is offered as a means to access over 3,000 libraries and library departments with specialized holdings in art, architecture, and archaeology throughout the world.
- Art Links
- A comprehensive index of art sites on the Internet.
- Arts Wire WebBase
- Keep abreast of new arts sites and promote your new or renovated site.
- UC Irvine Critical Theory Resource
- A large number of scholarly bibliographies that can be browsed and searched.
- Muse Digital Photo Shopping Center
- High quality photos at affordable rates.
- Publishers Depot
- "One-stop-shopping" site for digital photography, fonts, video and audio, illustrations, maps, source directories and much more.
- Joint Language Training Center
- Foreign language resources.
- AIDS Resources
- Comprehensive index to AIDS Resources on the Internet.
- Planet Italy
- Comprehensive index to all things Italian on the Internet.
- Guide to art in cities on the east and west coasts of the United States, articles and interviews with artists and writers, and a bookstore.
- The Varo Registry
- The Varo Registry is an electronic registry of artwork by contemporary international women artists. The Varo Registry is designed to provide women artists an opportunity to become part of today's electronic community.
- Emigre, Inc.
- A digital type foundry, publisher and distributor of graphic design related software and printed materials based in Northern California.
- The largest companies in the world are building cyberspaces: poets are building cyberspaces. Suddenly, everything's going spatial. Welcome to World 3, a space devoted to exploring the nature of internetworked hypermedia design.
- Anthropology/Archaeology Web Sites
- Extensive list of resources on the Web courtesy of Anita Cohen-Williams, librarian to the world. If the above link is busy the list is also located on these sites:
http://www.nevada.edu/home/22/rager/pub/acw.html (beta test site)
- Museum Computer Network
- The Museum Computer Network is a nonprofit organization of professionals dedicated to fostering the cultural aims of museums through the use of computer technologies.
- Magellan, McKinley's Online Directory
- An on-line directory of described, rated and reviewed Internet resources and other key facts instantly accessible to users as they scan the results of their search in The McKinley.
- Art Planet
- By searching Art Planet, you will discover Artists, Auction Houses, Galleries, Libraries, Museums, Exhibitions, Publishers, and other Fine Art Services.
- Auctions On-Line
- Auctions On-Line is a comprehensive database of fine art, antiques and collectables providing potential buyers with unrivalled access to auction information catalogues worldwide.
- Web Central
- Useful Web sites presented with a minimum of noise and fuss.
- Who's Who in the Hispanic Web
- Hotlist of Hispanic resources and contacts on the Web.
- Art and Art History Resources (in German)
- Sie finden hier Kunstressourcen gestaltet von Peter W.K. Franke.
- FineArtForum Directory of Online Art Resources.
mirror - http://www.vol.it/mirror/Fineart_Online/art-resources/)
- This directory is meant to serve as a resource and jumping-off place for people interested in art, and in the possible relationships between art and technology. Items on this list can be accessed via the Internet: websites, gophers, ftp sites, mailing lists and other types of resources are included.
- DCU WWW Images Retrieval
- Interface to a database of 3000 images.
- Worldwide Events Database
- This database is provided free of charge for not-for-profit organizations to publish information about their events.
- NYNEX Interactive Yellow Pages
- Now you can search for businesses in the northeastern United States, some with Web sites.
- ArtsNet Development Center
- The ArtsNet Development Center contains services to help the arts community search for funding. From the Master of Arts Management Program, Carnegie Mellon University.
- Virtual Reference Desk
- Everything from Japanese/English Dictionaries to Phone Books to the Declaration of Independence.
- Museum Professional Home Page
- A navigation tool for museum professionals and anyone interested in museums designed by Harold Robinson at the John F. Kennedy University in Orinda, Ca, as part of his Master's project on Museums and the Internet.
- ArtScene is a comprehensive guide to the fine art galleries and museums of Southern California. It has been published in magazine format monthly since 1982, and is available at over 300 galleries and museum bookstores in the greater Los Angeles area, Orange, San Diego, Santa Barbara and San Bernardino counties, as well as major hotels.
- Black Stripe
- This website represents the cooperative effort of Queers: Lesbians, Gay men, Bisexuals and Transgendered people of African Descent. It was inspired by discussions on GLBPOC and Sistahnet.
- AAM Media & Technology Committee
- The American Association of Museum's link between museums and media technologies.
- P.O.V. Interactive
- P.O.V., the award-winning PBS series, is now in the second year of its on-line project. With the hope of creating thoughtful public dialogue around the series, we have created "P.O.V. Interactive."
- Copyright Clearance Center
- The Copyright Clearance Center (CCC) is a not-for-profit organization providing collective copyright licensing services. We help organizations of all sizes and across all business lines comply with the U.S. copyright law and we ease permissions burdens and consolidate payments for rightsholders. CCC Online is a brand new way to work with CCC!
- Art History Research Centre
- This site is a tool to help art historians conduct research on the internet. I have consolidated the various approaches for your convenience and to make it less likely that you might overlook valuable resources.
- Gateway to World History
- Resources for the study of world history and in support of the struggle for social progress.
- Museum Online Resource Review
- An annotated directory of museum online resources and activities on the Web and other areas of the Internet.
- Art DEADLINES List
- A list of competitions, contests, call for entries/papers, grants, scholarships, fellowships, jobs, internships, etc, in the arts or related areas (painting, drawing, animation, poetry, writing, music, multimedia, reporting/journalism, cartooning, dance, photography, video, film, sculpture, etc), some of which have prizes worth thousands of dollars.
- Spoon Collective Mailing Lists
- The Spoon collective is a group of Net citizens devoted to free and open discussion of philosophical issues.
- French Resources on the Web
- Hapax, an experimental server featuring links to French-related resources on the Web of interest to teachers and students at the college or university level. This server is dedicated to the promotion of French world-wide. Hapax is maintained by Angelo Metzidakis, who is an associate professor of French at Sweet Briar College in Virginia, USA.
- InfoSeek is a new full text search service that makes finding information easy. You can search WWW pages, Usenet News, over 50 computer magazines, newspaper newswires and press releases, company profiles, movie reviews, technical support databases, and much more.
- An index of exceptional WWW sites related to fine art and the synergy between art and technology. It is presented as a public service by Magellan Media.
- Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, 9th Ed.
- The original scholarly collection of quotations to search from Columbia University.
- Faraway Places
- Links to places in the world you may not have found yet.
- Open Market
- Commercial sites index of commercial services, products and information on the Internet.
- Commercial Art Sites on the WWW
- Long list of what seems to be EVERY art site with work that can be bought. It is a link from a research paper on art galleries on the World Wide Web by Margaret L. McLaughlin of the University of Southern California.
- Online magazine that sorts through newsgroups and other internet resources to give you a good point to start. Well-designed and easy to navigate. Soon to be an interactive access provider in Seattle.
- University of Houston Libraries
- Provides access to tools for searching the Web and subject-based listings of Internet resources.
- Sandra's Clip Art Server
- Copies of clip art collections from other archive sites.
- Queer Recources Directory
- A massive archive of files including Queer Media and Worldwide Queer Culture.
- The Electronic Newsstand
- The Newsstand provides free access to a wide range of interesting articles from the world's leading publishers and useful information from prestigious companies. All Electronic Newsstand participants encourage you to browse and enjoy this evolving resource.
- The Search for Some Hypertext Fiction
- Excellent starting point for learning about and finding hypertext fiction on the web.
- Cool Site of the Day
- Every day another link to a cool site on the Web. You never know where you are going until you get there. Please consult your physician if unforeseen side effects develop. Parental discretion is advised. Patent pending. Non-fatal if swallowed. The Cool Site of the Day has proven effective in laboratory experiments. No electrons were harmed in the production of this page.
- Banff Centre for the Arts
- This is intended as a jumping-off place, a page with links to get you started on your journey out into the Web. The content of this page is aimed primarily at users within The Banff Centre; your mileage may vary.
- British Columbia Archives and Records Service
- Archival holdings include government documents and records, private historical manuscripts and papers; maps, charts and plans; photographs; paintings, drawings and prints; sound and video tapes; film; newspapers and an extensive library of publications with a strong emphasis on the social and political history of British Columbia.
- Northwestern University Library
- Good starting point for research.
- American Arts Alliance Links to Other Sites
- This is a list of arts and cultural information and advocacy resources available on the Internet through WWW or Gopher. The subway will take you to many virtual destinations throughout the Internet.
- AIDS Resources
- AIDS information on the Internet
- Search for Paris Museums
- You can search by museum or hall name (e.g. opera), and/or category, street (e.g. champs), metro stop (e.g. trocadero), arrondissement (zone within Paris; e.g. 75009 for the 9th arrondissement) or dˇpartement (France is subdivided into those; Paris is 75), town or city (e.g. Versailles).
- Digital Picture Archive on the 17th floor
- This archive from Delft University contains hundreds of megabytes of gif and jpeg pictures. This site is operational since 1992.
- Red Rock Eater
- The Red Rock Eater is an online facility that consists of the RRE News Service and the RRE Archive. The RRE News Service is a mailing list organized by its editor, Phil Agre
. These days most of the messages tend to concern the social and political aspects of computing and networking, but many have also concerned linguistic sociology, artificial intelligence, classical and medieval history, and community and labor organizing.
- The Foundation Center
- An independent nonprofit organization that maintains a comprehensive database on foundations and corporate giving programs, produces directories and analyzes trends in foundation suppport of the nonprofit sector. Excuse me while I search the database...
- BookWire Index
- The BookWire Index aspires to be the most comprehensive guide to the book-related resources of the Internet. Includes the Publishers Weekly Bestseller List and all sorts of other book-related resources.
- SUBMIT IT!
- Submit It! makes it easy to submit your URLs to a variety of WWW catalogs so people from around the world will be able to find your page. Simply type in the URL of your page (and in some cases the title as well) and then click on Submit It! Do this for as many of the catalogs as you like.
- Museums and Libraries
- Good index of Museums, Libraries and other resources from Digital.
- National Information Infrastructure
- Good place to get info on what the government is planning for the Internet.
- The Encyclopedia Britannica Online.
- Last we looked this was a demo that will be available to the public, for a fee, sometime in the future.
- Sun SITE Home Page
- Sun SITE (Sun Information and Technology Exchange) is a Sun Microsystems sponsored program at key Universities around the world.
- Art History Departments
- Short list of University art History departments in Canada, The Netherlands and the USA.
- Stanford's Info-Mac Digest
- Network interest group for the Apple Macintosh with lots of pointers to free and shareware.
- Clearinghouse for Subject-Oriented Internet Resource Guides
- Searchable database from the University of Michigan of resources on the Internet.
- ANIMA: Online Galleries Guide
- Art links.
- Find out what a Murple is.
- Links from the Underground
- Links from Swarthmore.
- Cyberweb Virtual Library
- EVERYTHING you'd ever need to know about the web.
- Resources for African American, Chicano, Irish and other communities.
- The Web's Edge
- Good site out of Stanford. Lots o' links.
- Search VRC
- The Iowa State College of Design Visual Resources Collection is an instructional resource of over 115,000 35mm photographic slides documenting major works in the fields of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, City Planning, Art, Craft, and Design.
New This Week
Back to Resources Home Page
Copyright ©1996 artnetweb, http://artnetweb.com